Who We Serve
We seek not only to prepare our students to be successful in college and in life, but also to close the achievement gap still evident in our city. To meet these goals, our educational program focuses on intense and rigorous instruction to prepare students academically. We also work to create strong citizens with a wealth of experience through our character education program and expansive enrichment opportunities. We emphatically adhere to and hold our students to highly rigorous standards to ensure that they are prepared to compete globally.
We believe that education is our modern day civil rights struggle. To that end, our goal is to measurably and dramatically close the achievement gap in Memphis between racially and economically disparate students.
FPA has officially taken residence among the highest performing non-optional academic programs in the city of Memphis. With approximately 2,200 students in grades PreK-12 across 5 schools and 4 campuses, Freedom Prep is resolved in its commitment to provide a high quality educational opportunity to an increasing number of Memphis students.
Why Freedom Prep?
Now in our 13th year of active service of Memphis’ families, FPA has:
- Performed in the top 10% in the State of Tennessee for academic growth annually since 2012, specifically performing in the top 5% in 2011-12, 2013-14 and 2016-17 and the top 1% in 2012-13 and 2017-18.
- Achieved the highest End of Course exam school success rate amongst all local charter operators in all three TN Ready assessment cycles, including being the highest performing non-selective school in Shelby County Schools in 2017-18 with 25 percent of students being “on track” or “mastered” across all subject areas. We repeated this performance in 2018-19. There was no state test in 2019-20 and the 2020-21 state test results were embargoed due to COVID-19.
- Earned Reward School Status more frequently than any other charter operator in Shelby County over the past six state test cycles
- Achieved the highest academic growth of all Shelby County Schools middle schools in 2017-18 as measured by Composite TVAAS & achieved the highest ELA academic growth out of all 154 Shelby County Schools operated schools in 2017-18 as measured by ELA TVAAS.
- Exceeded local ACT performance consistently over the past five years.
- Seen 100% of its first five graduating classes earn admission to 4-Year Colleges & Universities with alumni persistence rates that project college graduation rates dramatically higher than the national data for our student population
- Established an Elementary School Model to build on and improve the long-standing success of our Middle & High Schools, as evidenced by our TVAAS Level 5 at Freedom Prep Millbranch Elementary School in 2017-18 and doubling the percent of elementary students who meet state standards in 2018-19 from 12 percent to 25 percent across both elementary schools (top 5 percent of growth in the state of Tennessee).
- Freedom Prep has maintained strength of academic program relative to other growing charter operators in the Memphis market, as evidenced by 2017-18 TVAAS school-level composite scores. Freedom Prep had a network average of 4.5 across our four schools (5.0 is the highest). Operator #2 was a 4.0 (two schools), Operation #3 and #4 were a 3.33 (both three schools), Operation #5 was a 3.32 (six schools), Operator #6 was a 2.9 (seven schools), Operator #7 was a 2.3 (three schools), and Operator #8 was a 2.0 (four schools)
- In 2018-19 (the last year the state gave TVAAS scores due to COVDI-19), Freedom Prep achieved a TVAAS 5 at Freedom Prep High School, a TVAAS 5 at FPA Flagship Middle, a TVAAS 5 at FPA Whitehaven Middle, and we doubled the percent of students meeting grade level expectations in Elementary School from 12 percent to 25 percent across FPA Westwood Elementary and FPA Whitehaven Elementary.