MIDDLE SCHOOL (6-8)
Middle School program includes:
- 13.5:1 student to teacher ratio across all departments on campus.
- Comprehensive literacy program focused on increasing fluency, solidifying comprehension, and polishing writing skills ahead of high school courses.
- Foundational mathematics courses meant to bridge the gap between elementary mathematics and Algebra I in 9th grade.
- Exploratory science courses with a blend of Earth, Physical, and Life sciences to prepare for high school science course offerings.
- Equity-focused social studies courses rooted in primary and secondary source analysis.
- Expansive elective offerings including Liberation Arts (Black and Latinx History), Art, and Spanish.
- Daily physical activity, DEAR (Drop Everything And Read), and reading acceleration.
MIDDLE SCHOOL (6-8)
The Middle School curriculum reaches for a balance academically, socially and physically and is based on the wide variety of developmental changes found in our students between sixth and eighth grades. FPA’s classroom culture allows for individual attention and student-centered instruction. Students take five academic classes every day: Reading, Writing, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
- Freedom Prep Flagship Middle School performed in the top 10% in the State of Tennessee for academic growth annually since 2012, specifically performing in the top 5% in 2011-12, 2013-14 and 2016-17 and the top 1% in 2012-13 and 2017-18.
- Freedom Prep Flagship Middle School achieved the highest academic growth of all Shelby County Schools middle schools in 2017-18 as measured by Composite TVAAS & achieved the highest ELA academic growth out of all 154 Shelby County Schools operated schools in 2017-18 as measured by ELA TVAAS
- Freedom Prep Flagship Middle School students have performed above the neighborhood average for non-selective schools consistently since our founding in 2009, providing a stronger academic choice for families than the other options in our neighborhood.
- Freedom Prep middle school students earned a TVAAS Level 5 in all subjects in 2017-18 and 2018-19 (there was no state test in 2019-20 and we are awaiting 2020-21 TVAAS scores to be made public).
- Freedom Prep 8th graders enrolled in Algebra 1 passed at a rate of 83% in 2017-18, ranking at the 96th percentile in Shelby County Schools amongst all schools where 8th graders enrolled in Algebra 1. Even more significantly, 8th grade students enrolled at Freedom Prep 3 or more years exceeded the State of Tennessee average in math.