Elementary School Program (K-5)
Our elementary school program offers the following:
- 15:1 student to teacher ratio
- Whole group and small group reading programs focused on phonics, phonemic awareness, and writing
- Conceptual and procedural math curricula focused on building number sense and problem solving
- Equity-focused social studies designed to highlight the Black and Latinx experience and history
- Inquiry-based science instruction rooted in life, physical, and Earth science
- Expansive electives including music, art, physical education, and nutrition
Our elementary school experience lays the foundation for a student’s success at Freedom Preparatory Academy and beyond. Freedom Prep’s primary education focuses on early reading and language concepts, mathematics, social skills and fine and gross motor skills development along with daily instructor-led physical education.
Freedom Prep opened the doors to its first elementary school in the Fall of 2014 through the Achievement School District. Historically having operated only middle and high schools, Freedom Prep had a steep learning curve to climb to ensure Freedom Prep elementary schools truly set the academic foundation for students to excel in college and in life. While this was made even more difficult by having to establish our elementary school model within the complexity of a turnaround context, we are proud to currently operate two elementary schools, both of which are on an extremely positive academic trajectory. The data points below highlight the performance of Freedom Prep elementary school students:
- FPA Whitehaven Elementary at Millbranch Campus earned a TVAAS Level 5 in its first year of state-testing in 2017-18.
- Both Elementary Schools earned a TVAAS Level 3 in 2018-19; however, they also doubled the percent of students at state standard in math from 12 percent to 25 percent.
- Grades K-2 Reading data as measured by the STEP assessment has increased significantly across the Freedom Prep network in 2019-20, a change accomplished through a curriculum change, daily schedule change, improved teacher development and improved leader development. These results stayed steady through online instruction in 2020-21, pointing to a return to stronger results now that we are back in person for 2021-22.
- FPA Westwood Elementary at Parkrose Campus is the first school to successfully exit the state of Tennessee’s Achievement School District and return to local control under Freedom Prep’s management.